Follow

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Question of the Day...

Is the personal essay becoming the "I've got something wrong with me" essay? Disease, abuse, death of a loved-one. I've got nothing against this. There is a place for it and some of the writing on these subjects is incredibly wonderful, heartfelt, and strong. But can't we write a couple of personal essays/memoirs that are NOT about the three Ds - death, disease, and dysfunction?

Think Phillip Lopate's - "Confessions of a Shusher" - PLEASE!

Just a thought in my day...

David W. Berner

1 comment:

  1. I think this funny given your therapy joke yesterday. Well, my first thought to your question was: it sells. But I'm curious, what other memoir subject would you recommend? (Aside from that of a rookie teacher, that is!)

    ReplyDelete